Monday of Lent 5, March 18


How do people think of life?

Answer #5: It's my life and I can do as I want.

This view of life is very individualistic. It begins mildly, with a "me first" attitude about things. We all have this tendency because of the sin we are born with that curves us in on ourselves. We repent of this and strive to overcome it. But if left alone and left to grow, then this attitude become more toxic. Not just "me first" but me alone. I am the one in control of my life. I get to decide how things are. I can be whoever I want to be. I can do whatever I want regardless of who it hurts. 

But that's not how God views life! Life is a gift from God. He is to come first, not me. His Word is more important than what I think or want. He is in control, and that's good! I am by nature a sinful tyrant; He is by nature a good and loving God. Life under Him is better than life under me. 


So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

~ Genesis 1:27

Lord Jesus, my life is not mine to do with whatever I want. I belong to You who created me and redeemed me. Help me live under You as my good and gracious King, and love my neighbor as myself. Amen.

How can you put someone else first today?


No comments:

Post a Comment